One of my favourite pastimes is being in the kitchen cooking, baking, mixing, blending – I think you get the idea, I love food and I love making it! This past weekend I spent Sunday morning in the kitchen cooking up my favourite soup, Vegan Cabbage Soup!
It is filled with an abundance of flavour, vegetables and best of all it has only 5 grams of carbohydrates per serving! This soup will have minimum impact on your blood sugar levels and leaves you feeling full and satisfied.
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion , finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 stalks Celery , chopped
- 5 Green Onions , chopped, white & green parts
- 2 Carrots , cut in circles
- 1 tbsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 medium head of Green Cabbage , roughly chopped
- 8 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional if you’re not a fan of spice)
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot on medium high heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, celery, green onions, cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in carrots, thyme, basil, and cabbage.
- Cook for another 2 minutes. Add water, yeast flakes, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to heat to simmer for 20-30 minutes. Serve!
Recipe adapted from Healthier Steps.