Whenever I am getting together with family and friends for special occasions I always like to bring a sweet treat along to share with everyone. For one, so that I can selfishly enjoy a yummy sweet that I wouldn’t eat on a regular day, and two, because I want to show those around me that dessert can be delicious, sweet and healthy too!
This recipe of mine came to be when I was planning for a New Years party with family and friends this past year. Made with no processed foods or sugars, this sweet treat will not spike your blood sugar levels. In fact, these are made with raw honey to sweeten and have about 5 grams of carbohydrates per bite-sized piece. I also learned this past weekend that these even work well to treat a low. An upgrade from your typical juice box or sugar tablets if you ask me!
- 1/2 cup Almond Meal
- 1 cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- 5 tbsp. Raw Honey
- 5 tbsp. Coconut Oil, melted
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 3 tbsp. Cacao Powder
- Raw Almonds
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the almond meal, coconut, 2 tablespoons of the honey, 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Once the mixture is well combined and forms into a ball, take 1 tablespoon scoops and press into mini muffin tray cups. Be sure to press the mixture down tightly.
- For the top layer of the cups, in a mixing bowl combine 3 tablespoons of the honey, 3 tablespoons of the coconut oil and the cacao powder. Stir until this mixture is a smooth consistency. Spoon the chocolate over the coconut cups, and spread evenly. Finish off with an almond on top of each cup.
- Set in the refrigerator for an hour. Remove from the tray and serve. To keep fresh, you may store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Makes approximately 24 pieces.