Summer is finally here and the weather has been absolutely amazing lately! Warmer weather means more time out on my bike and more delicious summery salads are to be eaten! For the first time, this year, I created my very own herb garden and I have thoroughly been enjoying making fresh salads and meals using the herbs from my garden. Adding fresh herbs to the simplest salad can make the biggest difference in taste. With fresh basil readily availably in my garden, and Ontario strawberries in season right now, I could not pass on making this perfect summer salad from Oh She Glows.
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium ripe avocado, pitted and diced
- 1/3 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Pink Himalayan salt or fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Toasted sesame seeds
- In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar to a simmer over medium heat. Once the vinegar starts to simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 6 to 10 minutes, uncovered, until the vinegar thickens, and reduces in volume by half. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, add the strawberries, tomatoes, avocado, and basil into a large shallow bowl.
- Drizzle on the oil and gently toss until the veggies are coated. Season generously with salt and pepper and toss again just briefly.
- Scatter on your desired amount of toasted seeds. Drizzle on all of the balsamic reduction.
- Serve immediately. This salad is definitely best enjoyed fresh, but leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for a few hours if necessary.