Lately, I’ve been having to run out the door super early in the mornings and so I wanted to make something that I could grab on-the-go that was filling and nutritious. Perfect for T1D’s or anyone really, my latest breakfast creation is this sugar-free, fibre-filled bran muffin that will keep you full and your blood sugars steady all morning long!
For the recipe I used apples and raspberries for a touch of sweetness, but you can substitute any fruit in place of these. Same goes for the seeds. I think next time I might try dried fig and pistachios!
- 1.5 cup oat bran
- 1.5 cup flax seed
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 green apple
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 2 eggs (substitute: 1 tbsp chia seed with 3 tbsp warm water, per egg)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- Mix together dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- Stir in raspberries, apples and nuts.
- Combine almond milk,eggs and vanilla.
- Stir until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not over mix.
- Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes.
Makes 18 muffins | Carb 17g | Fibre 10g