As a Pisces, which is a water sign (yes, I just went there), I am naturally attracted to water. I feel at ease and happy when I am near water. The mere sight of water can have immense healing benefits for the body. Think of how we use hot tubs for hydrotherapy or even bubble baths to soothe our mind and body after a long day at work. Water plays an important role in our health on many different levels.
Along with being psychologically healing, it also has physical healing properties. Wounds are healed through water. Skin wounds heal most quickly in a wet environment because water accelerates the making of new skin cells. On days when I am feeling sluggish, I know that my water consumption is down. It is so easy to get caught up in our busy lives and let a simple self care task such as drinking enough water slip through the cracks.
Just as drinking water in itself is important, so is the quality of the water you are drinking. Today’s drinking tap water is contaminated with viruses, bacteria, parasites, heavy metals, nitrates, pesticides, plastics, chlorine, and the list goes on. I used to be hardheaded and would refuse to drink filtered water thinking it was propaganda the media was trying to sell me. After beginning my program at CSNN and learning about the importance of water I have become more educated and have personally experienced the health benefits since changing my water drinking habits.
7 benefits of clean drinking water:
- It’s involved in almost every bodily function in the body – circulation, digestion, absorption and elimination of wastes to name a few!
- Improves your skin complexion
- Keeps you hydrated
- Boosts your mood and energy levels
- Flushes out toxins
- Boosts your immune system
- Protects your tissues, spinal cord and joints
It is also important to consider when you are drinking water. Here are 3 easy tips to remember:
- Do not drink water with your meals or immediately before and after meals.
- Drink water an hour before each meal. This will avoid diluting digestive juices and reducing food digestion and nutrient absorption.
- Drink a warm glass of water with fresh lemon juice upon waking to fire up your metabolism and improve digestion.