After nearly a year of contemplating to go ketogenic I finally bit the bullet, with some encouragement and a bit of research, of course. It’s been just over a month since I made this lifestyle change, and although still very fresh and new to me, I can already see the impact it has had on my blood sugar control.
One of my biggest struggles with type 1 diabetes has been maintaining stable blood sugar levels before, during and after exercise. A ketogenic diet has made the biggest impact on not only my ability to manage my blood sugar levels, but has also provided me with less to think about when moving my body. When I go to a spin class in the morning, I no longer worry about my blood sugar dropping before the class is over. I no longer find it necessary to eat a snack before the class to relinquish fear of my blood sugar dropping. My concerns with insulin on board have diminished as my insulin intake has been reduced to nearly only basal insulin and in turn lessening the chance of a drop in sugar levels. This has given me the greatest peace of mind when exercising. It allows me to stay focused and fully enjoy my workouts.
We are all unique and each of our body’s systems function differently according to our own needs and requirements. Do your own research. Ask questions. Make a call. Send a message. It could be forever life-changing, and possibly just for the better.
Homemade Chocolate Bark
- 1/2 cup Coconut oil
- 1/2 cup Nut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Cacao powder
- 1/4 cup Almonds (or any nut or seed you like!)
- 1/4 cup Goji berries
- 1/4 cup Shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1 tsp Stevia (optional)
- On the stovetop over low heat, slowly melt the coconut oil and nut butter.
- Once melted, remove from heat and add in the vanilla extract and cacao powder. Stir together until well combined and it is a smooth creamy consistency.
- Next, add in the remaining ingredients and stir together.
- In a flat tray that has a small raised edge, pour the mixture evenly. Place the tray in the fridge to cool and set for about an hour.
- Once set, remove from fridge. Using a knife you can cut the chocolate bark into even pieces or you can break by hand into uneven chunks.
Note: This stuff melts quick! Do not leave out at room temperature for too long. Keep stored in an airtight container in the fridge.